Wednesday 15 March 2017

Research Journal #1

What was the process by which you narrowed down potential topics to two appropriate ones? And how were these decisions made on the basis of either class discussion, or our required, course textbook (Aveyard 2014), or both?
So far I have had difficulty with the process of choosing my topic and getting going. Originally, I thought I wanted my topic to be about vaccinations among those that already have compromised immune systems, but I could not seem to find enough research on that topic. That being the case, I eventually changed to vaccinations among health care workers. This of course could probably be narrowed down to more specific vaccinations, because according to class discutions it is good to have a specific topic that has enough evidence and research backing it up. I feel that the topic of vaccinations among health care workers is a good start for me because right now because not only am I Public Health major here at UNR, but I am hoping to go on to nursing school and work in a professional health care setting. Based on the discussions in class I feel that the later topic that I have thought about is the better one because it has enough research for me to ask the following question: Is it important for all Health Care workers be required to get vaccinated in order to work in the facility, or should it be up to them as a personal choice?
The decision was made to use this question after finding multiple journals and articles on PubMed and within the American Journal of Public Health, as well as proposing my toppic to Professor Gossi and getting reassurance that it was a good choice.


What research question did you choose, and how are I can be sure you're making a reasoned, academic judgement on the basis of chapters 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?
My research question is, "Is it important for all health care workers to be required to get vaccinated in order to work in a specific facility, or should this be a personal choice, or at least have specific acceptions related to health or disabilities?" After doing the reading I decided to add a little bit more to the question about having specific acceptions because it created a little bit more room for information by making a broader topic and question overall.


What article (or articles) are you basing this question on, and what type of article is it (research, theory, policy, practice) (citation[s] in APA, please)?
Anikeeva, O., Braunack-Mayer, A., & Rogers, W. (2009). Requiring Influenza Vaccination for Health Care Workers. American Journal of Public Health,99(1), 24-29. doi:10.2105/ajph.2008.136440
This Article is about the potential benefits for workers, patients, and their families if it was required for health care workers to recieve the Influenza Vaccination. It was published by the American Public Health Association.Below is a picture of the first bit of this journal article which I believe is a great start in providing me with the information I need to answer my research question.

Leask, J., Helms, C. M., Chow, M. Y., Robbins, S. C., & Mcintyre, P. B. (2010). Making influenza vaccination mandatory for health care workers: the views of NSW Health administrators and clinical leaders. New South Wales Public Health Bulletin, 21(10), 243. doi:10.1071/nb10042
I also found this article to be significant in my research about requiring vaccinations for health care workers. It comes from PubMed and is mostly a theory based article that talks about the challenges that would come with requiring the influenza vaccination in healthcare workers worldwide.

How can I be sure that the key vocabulary of the question corresponds not only to literature in the field, but also to chapter 1-3 (Aveyard 2014)?
Initially it was hard for me when I was working with the terms compromised immune system, which is why I was so pleased when I changed my research question and terms about requiring health care workers to get vaccinated. I have found that most of these journal articles include the word Influenza Vaccine, so I should be considering that as part of my question as well. I have also found that there is plenty of research using the key words: requiring heal care workers to get vaccinated.


Based on what your question is, what kind of literature are you going to need? Again, please explicitly reference the text (Aveyard 2014). What is your hierarchy of evidence?
In the order of importance going downward (those are the top are the most important) (cf. pg. 69 Aveyard):
1. Observational Studies and Theory
2. Expert Opinions
3. Comparison of the Risks


How exactly did you research question arise out of "practice"?
My research question arose out of practice because the articles that I have been using are peer reviewed articles, and that is what helped me narrow down and finalize my research question, as well as talking to Professor Gossi.


How do you define your key terms, and how do these definitions link to key journals in the field?
Health Care Workers
Health Care Setting
Vaccination or Vaccine or Vaccinated
Influenza
Flu
Required
Risks


Did anything unexpected happen? From you initial search, does it appear as though your research question will work? Or does the vocabulary and/or type of research sought need to be changed?
Nothing too out of the ordinary changed with this research. However, I do believe that I need to reqord my topic a little, and posisbly narrow it down even more by adding the more narrow topic of specifically the Influenza Vaccination.


Any final thoughts?
My new research question is: Is it important for all health care workers to be required to get the Influenza vaccine in order to work in a specific facility, or should this be a personal choice, or at least have specific acceptions related to health or disabilities?"

No comments:

Post a Comment